Friday, January 6, 2012

Franchisee Profile: Libby Mitchell of Dallas, TX


Name:  Libby Mitchell
Opening Date: May 2009
Brand:   Fetch! Pet Care
Location: Dallas, TX

Q: Where are you from?
A: I am originally from New Jersey but went to college in Massachusetts before I began working for the Forest Service.   I worked in a variety of different fields from computers to finance and moved to Texas 13 years ago.

Q: What was your career before franchising?
A: I received my degree in biology and worked for several companies before I decided personality-wise that I was better suited to working for myself.  I actually opened a small independent film business in 2002 and we do work on feature film, short films, and industrial work. 

Q: Why did you decide to open your own business?
A: I was very interested in running and managing a company. Corporate jobs do not offer a lot of freedom, so I wanted to do something that would allow me to use my ideas and personality. I have experience as an entrepreneur from owning my production company and have a love for animals, so I wanted to explore my options with a business that could combine the two.

Q: When choosing a franchise, what was appealing to you about Fetch! Pet Care?
A: I was looking at franchises on MSN and Fetch! kept coming up as a successful and thriving franchise business. I decided to look into it and met with Fetch! executives in May 2009. The ground work was already laid out and the name alone has a great reputation. Although no business is completely recession proof, it was clear they are expanding at a steady rate. I have worked with rescue animals since I was a teenage and have several rescue dogs living with us and also take care of my mom who lives with us.  I needed a business which focused on the well-being and care of others and something I knew I would enjoy.

Q: With regard to your previous experience, what skills do you feel helped you in your business?
A: I worked with a woman who owned five businesses and I was her operations manager charged with keeping everything on track. I own a small production company as well, so I have a lot of experience when it comes to managing and running a company.

From my experience as a leader, I have a good sense of how to encourage everyone to work as a team and for a common goal, which, in this case, are happy clients and pets!

Q: What makes your business different?
A: The sitters and I really connect with the clients, and they are very appreciative and loyal. All of our sitters are pet  first aid trained in case of an emergency; they know what to do and how to handle an urgent situation. Everyone that works with me is happy and upbeat. What is most important to me is are  sitters who can work with animals and understand people because those are the two most important qualifications in our line of work.

Q: How does your business connect with the community?
A: We reach out to the community in a variety of ways. We handle from different angles  from attending events to social networking such as posting on blogs. We work with adoptions and non-profit pet organizations, such as Garland Pawsibilities, Linens for Animals, and Richardson Animalluv.

Q: What are some of your achievements (professionally or personally) that you think will help you along the way in your business?
A: I set goals every year, and I do my best to achieve them every year.  I may not make it right on the time period I want, but they do happen.  I think it is important to set goals because I always have the motivation to work harder and make my business the best it can be.

Q: What are your expansion or development plans?
A: I would probably like to expand in the future. I’m really interested in Allen and McKinney (Texas), so I plan to put out some feelers and see what happens.

Fetch! Pet Care was founded in Berkeley, Calif., in 2002 by Paul Mann, who wanted his pets to remain in his home instead of kenneling them while he traveled. Finding no professional company suitable to the task, Mann started his own firm with the goal of providing as-needed, reliable, and loving care to pets of all kinds. Today, there are more than 3,000 Fetch! professionals operating in 1,500 U.S. communities. FETCH! Pet Care is the nation's largest and most trusted provider of professional pet sitting and dog walking services, serving thousands of pets and pet parents from coast to coast. Comprised of pet lovers turned business owners, each independently and locally owned Fetch! focuses on taking the stress out of finding a sitter and adding convenience to customer’s lives by doing all of the legwork for them. Fetch! matches you and your pets with the most qualified, experienced pet professional possible. For more information, visit www.fetchpetcare.com

1 comment:

  1. Helpful information in your blog pet franchise Dallas provides loving and caring home environment” where they are cared for “like one of the family for customer's pets

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Analytics